Once the surgeon has confirmed the date of your surgery, you will be contacted by the Pre-Admission booking clerk to arrange for your preassessment visit.
- Bring a family member or friend if possible, and a translator if required.
- Bring reading material, reading glasses, hearing aides, and enough money for parking (up to 4 hours), a beverage and a snack.
- DON’T TAKE A CHANCE ON GETTING A TICKET. Avoid meter parking; instead, park in the Parking Garage or in the Ouellette Avenue Lot.
- Wear comfortable clothing that can easily be removed if you require examination by the Anaesthesiologist or an Electrocardiogram.
- Avoid the use of lotions or creams.
- Take your medications as usual and eat as usual. The visit does NOT REQUIRE FASTING.
- For orthopaedic surgery patients who require Pre-op Physio/Health Teaching, bring your crutches if possible.
During your Pre-Admission Assessment, you will be interviewed by a nurse to better prepare you emotionally and physically for your surgery.
On the day of your appointment, please bring the following with you:
- ALL your prescription, non-prescription and herbal medications including inhalers (puffers), injections, eye drops, medicinal patches, sprays, herbs, vitamins in their original containers (Not a medication list). If you do not bring your medications in their original containers your appointment will be cancelled and rescheduled when another opening is available, and you will risk the chance of having your surgery date cancelled.
- A valid Provincial Health Card
- Pertinent medical history
- The Pre-Anaesthesia Questionnaire that you received from your Physician’s office
If you require lab work, an EKG, or an anaesthetic medical consultation, this will be done during your visit. If none of these are necessary, a telephone interview may be all that is required.
The team consists of RN’s, Laboratory Technicians, Pharmacy Technicians, Physiotherapists, Anaesthetists, and a Clerk.
Please be prepared to be available as follows:
An RN assessment only will require approximately 2 hoursAn RN/Anaesthetic consultation may require 4 hours
During your appointment our staff will:
- Explain what you can do to prepare for your surgery
- Perform diagnostic tests as requested by your doctor
- Develop an individualized plan for your care while in hospital and following discharge
- Discuss pain management with you
- Possibly offer viewing of a teaching film
If you have not been contacted at least one week prior to your surgery date, please call us at 519.973.4411 (ext.) 2490.
Please leave a message with your name, date of surgery, and telephone number where you can be reached.