Planning Your Hospital Stay
You will need to bring:
- Your Provincial Health Card every time you come to the hospital and photo identification
- Supplementary Insurance Information (if you have extra coverage)
- Your Pre-Admission Package or Hôtel-Dieu Grace Hospital card if you have one
- Advance Directive or Power of Attorney for Personal Care if you have one
- Any orders your physician may have given you
- A small bag packed with essential personal items
- All prescription, non-prescription and herbal medication you are currently taking, including inhalers (puffers), injections, eye drops, medical patches, sprays, herbs and vitamins. Please bring these items in their original containers including names, dosage and directions for use. (Your family may be asked to take this home after the nurse, pharmacist or doctor has reviewed the medications)
- Personal toiletries (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shampoo, shaving supplies, tissue, slippers and sleepwear)
- Eyeglasses and eyeglass case, and other personal aids if required such as hearing aids, crutches, walkers (make sure your name is on all of these items)
- Small amount of money for incidentals such as newspapers and snacks
You should not bring:
- Valuables (cash, jewellery, credit cards). The hospital is not responsible for personal possessions. Some items may be placed in the hospital safe. However, removal of items from the safe is not possible on weekends or after 4pm weekdays.
- Electrical appliances (in accordance with hospital electrical and fire safety standards). The use of your own electrical appliances, except electric razors and hairdryers, is forbidden within the hospital. We encourage battery-operated equipment.
- Latex balloons are forbidden due to latex allergies.
- Perfumes or scented products can cause allergic reactions and respiratory distress for some patients, visitors and staff. Please avoid scented products including perfumes, aftershave, hair sprays, gels, mousses and deodorants during your stay and request that your visitors do the same.
Pets are not permitted at HDGH. Seeing Eye dogs, hearing dogs and registered pet therapy animals are an exception.