COVID-19 (NOVEL CORONAVIRUS)
As many of you know, COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) was identified as the cause of an outbreak of pneumonia originating in Wuhan, China. Infections from the virus have been found in other countries, including Canada. To date deaths have been reported in China and the Philippines. For the most up-to- date local information please visit https://www.wechu.org/z-health-topics/novel-coronavirus-2019.
Coronaviruses are types of viruses that typically affect the respiratory tract of mammals, including humans. Symptoms of a Coronavirus include fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills and muscle pain. Coronaviruses are associated with the common cold, pneumonia and as well as more severe respiratory illnesses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS‐CoV).
Risks remain low to Ontarians, our community and to Hôtel‐Dieu Grace Healthcare (HDGH) patients and staff. HDGH has well established infection prevention and control measures for appropriate response.
HDGH’s standard infection control practices to prevent or limit transmission includes:
- Prompt identification by screening all patients (inpatients/outpatients) for any travel history and for any influenza‐like symptoms.
- Patients who have symptoms of respiratory infection are accommodated to a single room under Droplet, Contact precautions whenever possible.
- Patients suspected of having the coronavirus (positive travel history to China and respiratory symptoms), will be promptly accommodated to one of the private rooms with the portable HVAC system until arrangements are made for transfer to the emergency department to an acute care facility
- Routine Practices of hand hygiene, risk assessment by Health Care Workers to evaluate the likelihood of their exposure, and selection of personal protective equipment (gloves, gown, eye protection, masks/N95 mask)
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces
Our Infection Control team continues to diligently monitor the emerging situations related to the new coronavirus, and their top priority remains ensuring the safeguards of our patients/family and healthcare providers.
HDGH encourages all members of the public not to visit if they have a cold or influenza like symptoms.
For more information, visit the following links which provide the most accurate, updated and trusted sources of information.