Health Information Management Clerk
IBEW-Office and Clerical
Days, Afternoons, Weekends
The Health Information Management Clerk is an integrated support service position that encompasses creation of and management of the Health Record. The HIM clerk is responsible for ensuring the Health Record is accessible for all Internal and External customers, registration of all inpatient, ECT and various outpatient in-person and virtual registrations, bed allocation, accuracy of ADT census activity, quantitative analysis of all patient documents within the record, scanning and validation in the electronic document storage system. This position will provide information/documents to circle of care ie: physician offices, LTC. The Health Information Management Clerk complies with the Health and Safety Standards for the organization and is proactive in promoting a safe work environment
• Accountable to understand Privacy Legislation, ROI policies and Hospital POLICIES and Procedures. Assist in reconciliation of volumes with various clinics/ programs.
• Daily census reconciliation, validation of admissions, separations, and transfers. Follow up / investigate and correction of census, registration ADT errors.
• General reception duties including: answering telephone calls, photocopying of patient records, disseminating reports, retrieving information from automated printer.
• Maintain competency in management of ADT, the electronic health record (Cerner) , and reporting software tools (Microsoft Office).
• Pre-admit and Register Inpatient admissions and Outpatient visits (in-person and/or virtual) as required ensuring validation of insurance, accurate demographic information and accurate codes are used.
• Real time bed allocation and monitoring of inpatient room status.
• Release of patient information both external and internal within circle of care i.e.: physician's offices/ clinics, LTC.
• Retrieval, prepping, scanning and validation of Inpatient, Outpatient and Day Surgery records with quality, accuracy and validation.
• Health record retention/storage and destruction oversight and facilitation.
• Validation, through data quality reviews, of accurate registration data including chart number, admission, discharge dates and destination, visit type, patient type, volumes etc. Data clean up specific to this quality assurance of registration.
• Initiate procedures on all alarms, codes, and Stat calls according to policy and in coordination with security team as applicable.
• Access long distance lines for patients, staff, and physicians as required Acts as first point of contact for patients and visitors to HDGH.
• Answer census inquiries using Komutel system, ADT / HIS systems as required Assist staff in use of language line services.
• Assist staff in use of Non Urgent Transportation services.
• Assist with all inquiries from the public in a polite and courteous manner, acting as a resource relating to HDGH services and other inquires.
• Assist with parking information for patients and families and direct inquiries appropriately Direct all internal and external calls to the appropriate departments quickly and efficiently Maintain confidentiality and privacy of patient and staff information at all times.
• Page overhead according to policy. Monitor and follow up on pages sent out to staff ensuring task is completed.
• Update Komutel Directory as required.
Education and/or Certification:
• Graduate of a Medical Secretarial Program and/or 2-4 years’ experience in a hospital/medical setting in a clerical role
• Medical terminology required (will be tested)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) - required (will be tested)
• Previous experience in a Health Record Department or Admitting Department is considered an asset
• Excellent keyboarding skills required. (45wpm +)
• Must be able to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment with minimal supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with patients, staff, visitors and physicians.
• Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to effectively set work priorities.
• Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy is required
• Committed to the values of the organization.