Registered Practical Nurse (9 Positions)
Toldo Neurobehavioural Institute
The Registered Practical Nurse for the Specialized Mental Health Program cares for individuals with serious mental illness. This is a position that will improve care of the mental health patients in the tertiary care setting and support linkages with community partners to allow for the appropriate patient transition process. The Registered Practical Nurse will be a member of the multidisciplinary team providing care, assisting with comprehensive assessment, rehabilitation and treatment to adult patients with serious mental illness and their families. This model of care follows the principles of client centered care within a psychosocial rehabilitation approach. This position contributes to the hospital mission by being a team member, which ensures confidentiality, quality, and client-centered health care in the community.
• Thorough knowledge of nursing principles, procedures and practice in accordance with the Standards of Nursing Practice, for Registered Practical Nurses, of the College of Nurses of Ontario and regulations of the Regulated Health Professions Act.
• Good problem solving skills and ability to think independently.
• Demonstrated professional, sensitive and therapeutic communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a collaborative team approach and to adhere to accepted standards of personal conduct.
• Commitment to continued professional development and learning.
• Familiarity with basic computer functions
• Demonstrated ability to provide evidence based treatment to patients and families.
• General good health and level of fitness appropriate for the demands of this position
• Good knowledge of community agencies
• Available to work all shifts as required
• Excellent communication skills with the command of the French language considered an asset.
• Hotel-Dieu Grace Healthcare is committed to providing accessible employment practices that follow the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation during any phase of the recruitment process, please let our recruitment team know.
Education and/or Certification:
• Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario required
• One year experience in mental health (inpatient acute/tertiary) required
• One year outpatient specialized mental health (ACT or RTF) preferred
• Certification in Mental Health Nursing preferred
• Current CPR certificate required
• Non-violent de-escalation and Code White training required
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department