About the Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC), established in 2015 is an advisory committee to the Senior Management Council of Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare (HDGH).
The Council is an important resource to the organization and is involved with leaders to review areas of opportunity and offer ideas on the best way to move forward with changes that affect the patient experience. The current council has contributed to:
- the HDGH Strategic Plan;
- the Quality Improvement Plan;
- editing brochures and educational material for the public;
- the development of content for the HDGH website;
- the development and implementation of the Family Presence and Visitation policy, including the Essential Care Partner program;
- education for staff; and
- the Model of Care launched in Complex Medical Care.
There are three Patient and Family Advisory Councils currently in operation at HDGH: Patient and Family Advisory Council, Mental Health and Addictions Patient and Family Advisory Council and Regional Children's Centre Family Engagement Council.
What is a Patient and Family Advisor?
A patient and family advisor is someone who:
- Wants to help improve the quality of our hospital’s care for all patients, families, and caregivers.
- Gives feedback to the hospital based on his or her own experiences as a patient, family, or caregiver.
- Works with the hospital for either short or long-term commitments, depending on the project.
- Volunteers their time – usually at least one and a half hours and not more than four hours per month. Meetings are held the fourth Thursday of every month from 4-6:00 p.m., with the exception of July and August. More time can be volunteered on long-term projects
What do patient and family advisors do?
- Shares their suggestions and potential solutions to help improve care at HDGH.
- Assists in advancing patient/client and family-centered care.
- Reviews patient/client related policies, guidelines education materials and resources.
- Have experience working in teams.
- Have the ability to develop partnership and work with people who are diverse, including
- abilities, lifestyle, spiritual views, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
- Have lived experience with either being a patient in one of HDGH’s programs or services, or a caregiver or Designated Care Partner of a Patient who was receiving care at HDGH
- Willing to share their experience as a patient/caregiver - but also think beyond their own personal experiences.
- Keeps any information private and confidential.
- Brings a positive attitude to discussions, even if they disagree.
Call for Members
PFAC is currently seeking new members to join its committee. If you received care or you cared for someone who received care at one of our programs your contribution is important in making an impact to improve the quality of the patient experience for the patient/clients receiving care and services here at HDGH. HDGH strives to be an inclusive and diverse organization. We encourage everyone who is interested to apply.
Join HDGH's Patient and Family Advisory Council
How to Apply
Complete the application form and submit it to our Patient Advocate.
Please note that some applicants may be better suited to fit with our Mental Health and Addictions Patient and Family Advisory Council or our RCC Family Engagement Council. These applications will be forwarded to the most appropriate group for consideration.
Members meet once per month with the exception of July and August. Members have been a patient or family/caregiver in the recent past at HDGH, either as an inpatient or outpatient.
If you have questions about this opportunity feel free to contact our Patient Advocate at (519) 257-5111 ext. 74404.
About Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare
HDGH is located at 1453 Prince Road in Windsor. At HDGH, we are committed to improving the health and wellbeing of the Windsor-Essex community through the delivery of patient-centred, valued based care. Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare is a unique community hospital offering services in Mental Health & Addictions; Rehabilitative Care; Complex Medical and Palliative Care; and Children and Youth Mental Health. We offer a unique blend of services including but not limited to community and home based services. In collaboration with our healthcare and inter-sectorial partners, Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare is providing care in new ways and in new locations throughout the region to address barriers, improve access and patient outcomes and improve the overall patient experience.