Clinical Nutrition Inpatient Services
The team of Registered Clinical Dietitians at HDGH is an essential part of the multidisciplinary team working to assess and address the nutritional needs of our patients with various health conditions. They develop and implement nutrition care plans to improve or maintain your nutritional status.
Inpatients will be visited by a Dietitian shortly after admission, with follow-up visits scheduled as required based on your nutritional needs.
Small kitchens, equipped with a fridge and microwave, are available on each unit on a 24 hour basis for patients and their families. All items kept in the fridge must be labeled with the patient’s name, room number, and date, since non-commercially prepared items are routinely disposed of after three days.
To avoid infection control issues we ask that you do not remove food off your tray for storage in the patient fridge for use later. Contact Food & Nutrition Services at extension 7DINE (73463) to make necessary changes to your meal tray.
Bringing Food From Home
Please note that the allowance of food from home is subject to change based on Directives guiding best practices.
We understand we’re not always able to provide you with your personal choices of food and your family may want to bring you familiar foods to comfort you during your stay. In order to keep you and our other patients safe we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Talk to your Nurse or Dietitian about what food you are allowed to have while in hospital.
- Label your food with name, room number and date it was placed in fridge. Any food item that is not labeled will be removed and discarded immediately.
- Wrap and cover all food items. Open containers and unwrapped items will be discarded immediately.
- All non-commercially prepared food items will be discarded three days after the date on the label.
- Any commercially prepared food items (ex. yogurt, ice cream, etc.) stored in fridge or freezer will be discarded after expiration or best before date printed on the product container.
- Family prepared food in large quantities are not to be kept in the patient fridge. Only one or two portions will be allowed.
- Please ensure that you remove all food you have placed in the fridge prior to your discharge date.
HDGH will not be responsible for any food containers left behind or any issues that have to do with food brought from home.
We’d Like To Hear From You - How to Contact Us
Should you have any concerns regarding your diet or meals, let your healthcare team know or call extension 7DINE (73463). A member of our Food Service team will respond to your call as soon as possible.
Cafeteria Food Services
Enjoy our fresh soups, salads, sandwiches and daily specials in the Courtyard Café located on the first floor of the Tayfour Tower Building, and the In Honour Café located on the first floor of the Emara Building.
Courtyard Café Hours of Operation:
- Weekdays 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Closed Weekends & Holidays
In Honour Café Hours of Operation:
- Weekdays 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Closed Weekends & Holidays
Please note that hours of operation are subject to change. Contact extension 72040 for more information.
Outside of regular cafeteria hours a coffee bars offers a variety of hot and cold beverages and light snacks:
In Honour Café Coffee Bar Hours of Operation:
- Weekdays 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Weekends 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Please note that hours of operation are subject to change due to volunteer availability.
For your convenience vending machines offering a variety of food and snack items, with a selection of beverages, are available on the first floor of both the Emara and Tayfour buildings.