Windsor-Essex's Regional Bariatric Assessment and Treatment Centre
Windsor-Essex's Regional Bariatric Assessment and Treatment Centre will provide medical screening and assessment services. Bariatric assessment services are provided on a physician referral for patients meeting the following criteria:
- BMI >40 kg/m2 or BMI >35 kg/m2 with significant obesity-related co-morbidities
- Acceptable operative risk
- Failure of non-surgical weight loss programs
- Psychologically stable with realistic expectations
- Well-informed and motivated patient
- Supportive family/social environment
- Absence of active alcohol or substance abuse
- Absence of uncontrolled psychotic or depressive disorder
Range of Services
Screening and Assessment
- For obesity utilizing anthropometric measures
- For related conditions utilizing laboratory outcomes
- Assessment and identification of obesity relation conditions through clinical findings
- Assessment and identification of psychosocial outcomes using psychosocial measures for depression, mood disorders and eating disorders
- Assessment of readiness to change behaviours
- Patients will participate in extensive nutritional evaluation and counseling preoperatively, including assessments with Dietary (up to 5 visits), Registered Nurse (up to 3 visits), social, work, and physiotherapy
- Once surgery is booked, patients will attend a Pre-Surgical visit with nursing including attendance at a patient information session facilitated by a Dietitian and Social Worker
- Pre and post surgical management
- Education and booking of bariatric surgical options
- On-going post-operation follow-up
- Post-operative visits will include an assessment with the multidisciplinary team at the 1, 3, 6, 9, 12-month marks as well as a yearly assessment for 5 years following surgery
- Patients will incorporate benchmarks and best practices for bariatric surgery and pre and post-operative care where available and as recommended from time to time by the Ontario Bariatric Network ("OBN") Advisory Board and endorsed by the Ministry.
Referrals will be accepted from physicians in the community and hospital-based physicians. Referrals will come to the clinic with laboratory results and x-ray results from outpatient centres.
Most outpatient visits that are booked from physicians' offices will be scheduled through the Hospital's automated booking system. Hours are flexible to accommodate schedules but are by appointment only.
Upon arrival to HDGH please present to the Central Registration Department, prior to proceeding to your appointment. Central Registration is located within the main entrance, across from the Courtyard Café.
Please arrive 15 min before your appointment in order to allow enough time to register.
Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare
1453 Prince Road, Windsor ON N9C 3Z4
Tower Building, TR 1500, 1st Floor
Phone: (519) 257-5111 Ext 79100
Fax: (519) 971-9566
Hours of Operation
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and by appointment only